Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hello and Welcome!

Hi, everyone, and welcome to my blog. I haven’t blogged before, but have enjoyed reading others and thought that it would be good to have this communications outlet to our members and others interested in AFP and the fundraising profession.

So what do I hope to accomplish with all this? Well, one of the things I love—LOVE—about my job is being able to talk with members around the world. Of course I can’t speak with every one of you directly, so a blog like this is another way we can share with each other.

Also, there are so many things AFP does to advance fundraising that it is probably hard to keep track of them all. After all, you’re busy with your professional career, and the typical practitioner is besieged with more and more responsibility (and pressure). There’s a lot going on, and you may not always hear about AFP activities or what’s happening in the profession. So what I hope to do is provide you a little insight into some of the things AFP does that don’t always get the limelight: programs of which you might not be aware, projects that are being developed and ways we’re helping the profession.

I think it goes without saying that I hope you’re a member or are considering joining, and that you’ll remain a member for years. I might on occasion point to a program we’re offering if it makes sense in the context of what I’m discussing, but I really want this blog to be an open communication between you and me.

Some of my posts may cover serious issues affecting the whole profession; others might be a little more light-hearted or personal. Regardless, I hope you stop back often and feel free to share your own point of view.

Oh, and if you do respond and want to leave your name, please give your chapter name (if a member) or just general geography. I always like to know where people are.

My best to you on your fundraising… and happy reading!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the blog launch. Looking forward to reading future entries.

    MHS
    Washington DC and MD Chapters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogsphere, Paulette. We will all benefit from your contributions to the online conversation.
    --Michael Stein, member, AFP Golden Gate Chapter
    http://www.michaelstein.net/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary Schrenk, CFREMay 19, 2009 at 3:08 PM

    Great posts and thanks for the pep talk contained in post #2. Any by the way - why are you still working at 11:37 p.m.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paulette, you are my first blog that I am following, so it's exciting for both of us..I am a member of NYC AFP, and have found a way to 'give back' to the non-profit community by doing what I do best, making videos to help raise money, awareness, interest etc...if you have a moment take a look at some of my work..charitydocs.org as well as my channel on Youtube which is
    http://www.youtube.com/charitydocs
    Thanks Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to everyone for responding. I'm very excited about doing this and glad you’re all interested. The ideas for posts have been coming fast—just a matter of finding the time. Gary, I thought your videos were very good, especially the one about the New York Womens Foundation. Fascinating work. And yes, Mr. Schrenk, I'm working all the time! Maybe the question is, why aren’t YOU working at 11:37 p.m.! ;) Good to hear from you, Gary, and I hope all of you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete