Friday, June 12, 2009

Must-Reads!

I found what I think are a couple of must-reads given the current giving environment.

First, following up on my last post about community, I found this real gem. It's a blog post from last year, but the advice is still right-on about investing in yourself. I suppose I could quibble with his use of terms and argue that it’s more important to invest in yourself than your "job" (as opposed to "career"), but the general sentiment is perfect. I've looked through some other posts on The Simple Dollar, and they look very interesting and quite apropos, so hats off to Trent, the author.

Second, I strongly encourage you to read this article by Susan Raymond, Ph.D., about the latest Giving USA numbers. Susan is the executive vice president of Changing Our World Inc. (note for transparency sake: Changing Our World sponsors AFP's Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy awards) Her analysis about what’s ahead for giving, especially the relationship between personal giving and employment levels, gives us all a lot to think about. Her advice at the end is especially cogent.

I hope you enjoy these, and let me know what you think. I'm off to Florida next week to speak at our Suncoast (Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg) and Central (Orange, Seminole and other counties) chapters, then Central Ohio (Columbus) the following week. The topics are ethics, trends and how to succeed in an uncertain world. I'll let you know how it goes. Until then, good luck with your cultivation and stewardship.

No comments:

Post a Comment